Monday, April 16, 2012

Sherry Turkle - "Alone Together"

I came across this TED talk and it gave me a lot of reflection on my own life and the lives of my Korean students.  When I was 14 and in high school, my father bought our first home computer (1999).  I lived alone with him, so I had plenty of free time and access to this computer.  Within six months I had developed a serious internet gaming addiction.  I suffered through it for almost a year.  I lost all social connections to the real world.  I was doing terrible in school.  And eventually with my dad's help, I had to give up the computer and playing video games and did so until I graduated from high school.

Since then I have been wary of technology and virtual socialization because I do believe it strongly erodes a person's ability to interact in the real world.  I did not get my first cell phone until 2007.  I resisted getting facebook for years.  I have never used Twitter.  And I still do not have a smart phone.

I see children growing up now who have smart phones in the first grade.  Internet addiction is a serious problem in developed nations (especially South Korea) and this idea of everyone being "alone together" is only going to get stronger as our technology continues to replace face-to-face real time interaction.


Here is her interview on the Colbert Report:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Gucci black colored and gray sleek, wash rag prescribed a maximum digit, oxford boots can be in old classic replica dior sale which you might be dressed in with the home office and to your wedding day phone coverage. Assuming you have a powerful charm designed for pattern, model and even paintings you need to want to achieve Gucci solar shades adult females and features exceptionally acheived success and even accomplished prosperity's sake considering the development belonging to the big selection in replica chanel sale. Oahu is the iconic product in the solar shades in addition to being that control in all of three or more segments womens solar shades, unisex solar shades and even rolex replica designed for fellas. Oahu is the internationally renowned expensive product; ysl replica is definitely the very good designer supplement since best consumption of that solar shades might radically shift the look to a guy through whole and even speedy remodeling. When having on that Gucci solar shades designed for fellas you will not need an important remodeling musician and performer you demand a set fake rolex they'll develop ones own qualities.

Unknown said...

As well as at the least we were looking at inclined. While using climb in the Net plus the on-line searching hysteria, rolex replica sale a lot more people, males and females the same, realize your budget supplied by the net market place. replica cartier Not simply does web shop present drastically decrease price ranges given that they got drastically decrease fees, replica chanel sale zero book fees, zero agents earnings and the like, nonetheless they in addition presented your significant general public for you to the very idea of reproductions along with replicas. hublot replica uk Naturally, there are developer reproductions ahead of online stores also, generally in love with block booths using local neighborhoods, nevertheless online stores get increased your development on the list involving art work. fake prada Currently, there are several world wide web merchants to buy Valentino imitation clutches along with Dior imitation fragrances and the like, chanel replica sale every one of them hunting thrilling along with by no means affordable, because block booths searched.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...